The Navigator

The Semester in Sports

This semester has been an exciting one in the world of sports. From the football team’s playoff upset, to the perennial state championship swim team, Newman sports are on the rise. The Fall sports athletes competed and worked hard, and those efforts paid off. Let’s do the numbers

2-state championships won by fall sports teams. Both the boys and the girls swim teams won by an average margin of 97 points in their trip to Sulfur. As Captain Connor Page eloquently stated after the meet “Nobody was left behind, it was great.” In reference to the fact that all 26 swimmers on the team qualified for the state meet.

2-trips to the state quarter-finals by fall sports teams. Both the football team and the volleyball team made it to the final 8 in the state and finished the season with winning records.

3-all-metro, small school finalists on the football team. Captains Kobe Porche and Miles Lapyre, and Senior Kirk Groome all had fantastic seasons on the field, and were recognized for their achievements. Lapyre passed for over 3,500 yards and 33 TDs, to just 5 INTs. Porche led the team in total tackles, solo tackles, and tackles for a loss. Groome averaged 39 yards per punt, made 95% of his extra points, and made 75% of his field goals.

4-all-district football players. WR Storey Charbonnet, OL Ryan White, LB Kobe Porche, and P Kirk Groome were all named all-district after helping the team to a 6-5 record and a +34 point differential. Charbonnet led the team in receiving TDs (12) and yards (665), while White and the rest of the offense line allowed less than 15 sacks on the season.

1-all-metro coach of the year in swimming. Coach Kylie Kastes

1-all district coach of the year in volleyball. Coach Colleen Loerzel

3– all-district volleyball players Layne Stone, Cameryn Jones, Peyton Lecorgne. These three girls led the team to a 31-11 record, and a deep playoff run. These girls, along with the whole team, competed with heart and passion every game. They gave it their all and were never discouraged when the results were unfavorable.

1– all district MVP in volleyball Cameryn Jones. In Newman’s playoff matchup versus University Lab, Jones had 30 kills and 11 blocks, an average game for the Junior.

3– all-district cross country runners. Michael Brown, Jessi Rulh, Mikayla Rulh were all crucial to the Cross Country team’s success this season. Brown finished 7th in the state meet, while Jessi and Mikayla finished 4th and 9th, respectively.

2-top five team finishes for the Cross Country team. After a hard fought season, the boys finished in fourth and the girls in third in the state meet, beating out schools like Country Day and St. Charles. Their effort and commitment pushed perennial powerhouse

56.66, 1:38.69. 2, 1:47.83.2, and 1:01.54.2-the winning times of the single event champions on the swim team. Connor Page’s 100 Butterfly, the boys 200 Freestyle relay, the boys 200 Medley relay, and Kate Kramer’s 100 Backstroke were all good enough for first place in their respective events.

16:27.2-the time it took all-district runner Michael Brown to run 3 miles at the LHSAA Cross Country Championships. This time earned the Newman record holder, 7th place at the meet.

21-consecutive district titles for the boy’s Cross Country team. That number speaks for itself.

86.7-the average temperature for the month of July in New Orleans, the highest ever recorded. While this number may seem immaterial to Newman sports, Newman’s Fall sports teams had to practice in this oppressing heat. However, each team was only able to do this with the help of the Sports Medicine team. This group of girls helped all of our athletes stay healthy during the summer heat and the grueling season. They learned about the Sports Medicine profession and were crucial to trainers P and Sosa.

16-girls on the cheerleading team this season. These 16 girls (7 of which were new) braved the elements in order to support the football team and raise the spirit of the whole Newman community. While most fans cowered under cover when the weather was rough, these 16 dedicated women showed what it truly means to have spirit.

As you can see, fall was a great season for Newman sports. There were some teams who didn’t reach all of their goals, but every athlete improved every day. They all pushed themselves and their teammates to be better, on and off the field. In the end, effort and heart are what make teams successful, and those can’t be measured in numbers. Heart is what allowed the football team to come back against Dunham in the fourth quarter. Effort is what allowed the Volleyball team to regain their composure after dropping the third set to University Lab. Heart is what pushed the cross country runners as they were running out of energy in the third mile. Effort is what helped swimmers get up at 5:30 on school days for practice. Heart is what kept the cheerleaders on the field during a hurricane. If all the achievements were stripped away, these Fall athletes still have the perseverance , heart, and character that got them to the top of their respective sports. And that can never be taken away from them.

About the Writer
Eric Margolin, Sports Editor

Eric Margolin is a Senior who has been attending Newman since Pre-K. He is a Sagittarius who owns a dog named Fiona. His favorite color is red, but a red...

• The Semester in Sports

Cross Country

2018 State Cross Country Meet

• The Semester in Sports

Cross Country

Frigid Cold

• The Semester in Sports

Cross Country

Newman XC Classic

• The Semester in Sports

Cross Country

Cross Country: Battlefield XC Festival

• The Semester in Sports

Cross Country

Cross Country State Meet

• The Semester in Sports

Cross Country

Cross Country: District Championship

• The Semester in Sports

Cross Country

Cross Country: STA Meet

• The Semester in Sports

Cross Country

Cross Country: Newman Invitational

• The Semester in Sports

Cross Country

Cross Country: Week 1

• The Semester in Sports

Fall Sports

Swimming State Championship