The Pioneer: A Century and a Decade of Creativity

This semester marks the 110th anniversary of The Pioneer. The Pioneer first published in 1911, making it the oldest high school run literary magazine in the state of Louisiana. It was founded on the values that all members of the Newman Community, both faculty and students, could celebrate their imagination and creativity through their artwork, poetry, and prose. 

As we finish the semester, The Pioneer, led by Editors-In-Chiefs, Megan Vogt and Colette Bu (hehe me) and Design Editor, Alisia Houghtaling, have compiled the Newman community’s artwork and prose under the theme of “Fears and Terrors”. This issue will be an exploration of our fears and anxieties both paranormal as well as the everyday ordinary struggle of life as we know. 

Moreover, there is a privilege in exploring themes through our publication since literary art is fading in a world of mass media. The Pioneer provides a platform for students and staff to display their work for their peers to see. One of my favorite parts about The Pioneer is that as a member of the staff I have the privilege of being in awe of the talent this community holds. Additionally, I have the opportunity to work with talented writers and artists in order to collaborate on this treasured publication. 

But this would not be possible without the students of the past. We owe it all to the creative students and faculty that came before us. Without their investment in the publication, we would not have the opportunity to share our student and faculty artists and writers’ work. We say thank you to them for giving future generations of the Newman community a space to celebrate their imagination and creativity.