By the students, For the students

The Navigator

By the students, For the students

The Navigator

By the students, For the students

The Navigator

Should All Standardized Tests be Timed?

Why some colleges and universities are moving away from requiring students to submit standardized test scores

I’ve always been the student who runs out of time on assessments and, for a while, I thought that meant I wasn’t as smart as the other students. After years of degrading self talk, I realized that speed was not equivalent to intelligence, even though standardized tests often reward speed with higher scores. I recently came across an article in the New York Times talking about time-tests and how they tend to reward students with more confidence and speed. In his opinion piece, Adam Grant notes: “Although it pays to be quick, it also pays to be determined, disciplined and dependable” (Grant). This idea really resonates with me as I am getting ready to apply to colleges this fall. 

Although most of the schools I will apply to are test-optional or do not require me to submit scores, I have still taken the SAT and ACT multiple times. Each time, I have run out of time on at least one of the sections. It just felt like there was not enough time to finish even though I was working as fast as I could. When my scores came back, I felt like they didn’t represent me as a student because my strengths tend to be my attention to detail, perseverance, and thinking deeply about more complex topics. I felt like the tests did not give me the opportunity to demonstrate these strengths in the same way that the grades I earn throughout a school year give more of a comprehensive view of me as a student. No matter if I decide to submit my scores or not, I’m happy lots of colleges are recognizing that standardized test scores may not be the best measure of a students ability to succeed at their institution.