By the students, For the students

The Navigator

By the students, For the students

The Navigator

By the students, For the students

The Navigator

Spirit Week 2023 Recap

The juniors pose in front of the Touhy after winning the Spirit Stick!

This year’s Spirit Week theme was “Greenies Are Out Of This World”, and the hallways were certainly otherworldly. The freshmen had the Wizard of Oz, the sophomores had Harry Potter, the juniors had Candyland, and the seniors had Barbieland. The freshman bedazzled the second floor of Lemle with a yellow brick road, an emerald city mural, and an amount of confetti even the Wizard would think was extra. The sophomores, on the other hand, took a (literally) darker tone for Harry Potter, with dementor themed Halloween decorations and hand painted murals and newspapers. Juniors built a life size Candy Land, complete with Lord Licorice staring menacingly from a tent and the Candy King himself. The seniors decorated a groundbreaking Mojo Dojo Casa House with no horses, but a gator instead. Pink really does go with everything.

But arguably the highlight of this year’s Spirit Week was the celebration on Friday afternoon. Everyone in the Upper School came together in the Palaestra to show off their Greenie spirit and cheer on members of their grade in two different competitions: a student-teacher volleyball tournament and grade dances.

The assembly started with the freshman’s unique grade dance, which involved everything from Fortnite dances to baby toy cars. Next, them and the sophomores went head to head in a volleyball match. Each team was cheered on by their classmates in the stands and their grade’s cheer squad. The match ended up being really close, but the sophomores took the lead at the end. Their celebrations led right into their rock-inspired dance, where they showed off their Kiss shirts and temporary tattoos and had an epic inflatable guitar climax.

Immediately after the dance, it was the teachers’ time to shine. They came out onto the court to challenge the sophomores to another round of volleyball, which, unsurprisingly, they won. The faculty cheer squad also got the entire upper school hype when they made shaky letters! The junior grade dance came next, which was an incredible mix of Adam Sandler costumes and hilarious dance moves.

They soon moved back onto the court to fight the seniors in their volleyball match. The seniors quickly won the five-point match and then moved on to their Barbie-themed dance. This dance proved to have some controversial moments, which led to their disqualification in the competition. Unfortunately, the seniors were also not able to play volleyball against the teachers because there wasn’t enough time.

The celebration soon moved down to Lupin Field, where the entire school joined in for a Spirit Week pep rally. At the beginning, the cheer team danced to the band’s energetic songs and got the whole crowd hype. But the best part was yet to come. Coach Stew came out onto the field holding one of the most important symbols of Greenie pride: the Spirit Stick. But first, he announced the winners of the grade level dance: The Juniors took first place while the sophomores were runner-up! Then, the whole crowd suddenly went silent as they awaited the announcement of which grade would be the Spirit Week winner. The Spirit Stick ended up going to… the Juniors! Everybody walked off the field happy (and because of the heat, sweaty), all agreeing that this year’s Spirit Week was a total success!