By the students, For the students

The Navigator

By the students, For the students

The Navigator

By the students, For the students

The Navigator

A Goodbye from a Class of 2024 Senior

Members of the class of 2024 before our last first day of school

As the year comes to a close and we are speeding towards graduation, I wanted to spend a minute to thank Newman for the experience and lessons I have learned throughout my time at the school. There is also some advice I’d like to pass on to younger generations of Greenies that have year left to experience all of what Newman has to offer.

If you know me, you’ve probably heard me say this before but I’ll say it again: say yes to all the help people will offer you at Newman. Whether it’s extra help from a teacher, a conversation with your college counselor, or making a plan for all the work you have get done over a weekend with ARL, it is always worth the little extra time and effort on the frontend. I would have had so much trouble in AP Statistics if I didn’t take Dr. Kern up on his offer for extra help whenever I needed it. I wouldn’t have gotten in to the college I’m going to next fall if I hadn’t accepted Dr. Soud’s help brainstorming essay topics. I would be perpetually behind on work if I didn’t work with Mrs. Yarborough and Mrs. Massey on weekend plans that have taught me how to budget my time. I will be forever grateful for all of the help that was offered by the upper school teachers and staff because learning to accept help was one of the most important things I learned during my time at Newman.

To high schoolers, try to challenge yourself or take a class that is a little bit outside of your comfort zone every year. For me, the honors English process seemed so daunting and stressful that I almost dropped out, but I’m happy I put in the work and believed in myself because the experience has made me a much better writer. I’m happy I took a chance and signed up to take a Psychology class my Junior year because I ended up loving it so much I’m hoping to explore it as a major or minor in college. I am most of all happy I continued to pursue studio art, even after I had met my graduation requirements for the Arts. I found something I really love, so I have taken an art class every semester of high school.

And finally, I’m so happy I took a chance and joined the Navigator Sophomore year because it helped me develop my research, writing, and design skills!