Road to Shreveport: 2020 Swim State Championships

On November 18th, the boys and girls of the Varsity Swim team had their LHSAA Swim State Championship meet in Shreveport.

The team’s tradition of taking a bus on the “Road to Sulphur” and eating at Joe’s (an Italian restaurant in Sulphur) changed this year due to damage from hurricanes and COVID-19 safety precautions. Instead of Sulphur, parents and swimmers drove to Shreveport, where the pool was regulated and only allowed participants to enter. The boys’ and the girls’ meets were also separate, with one in the morning and the other in the afternoon.

Despite this separation, the team remained close through group chats, virtual games, speeches and a fated elevator ride, as well as getting closer with their own lanes and respective teams.

Swimmers were motivated and tried their hardest to get both the Boys and Girls teams hard-earned titles of 2nd place. The first place team of Ascension, as well as the many other teams the Greenies beat, such as McGhee, outnumbered the Greenies by individual members. This goes to show how hard our small but mighty team worked to earn our place. Swimmers started this season unsure of how it would look as a sport and as a team. But we pushed through, with senior captains helping to bring the team together and with dedicated parents and coaches, and each swimmer working hard to make a great team. It was a strong finish to the season of 2020. Go Greenies!

Ali Kramer, an excellent and experienced writer for the Green and White Club who promotes Newman Swimming, wrote about the state results:

“The Boys

The Boys swam in the morning, with only 6 individual boys swimming a total of 11 individual events.

Senior Co-Captain Pierce Thionville led the Greenies with 40 points, taking 1st in both the 200 Free and the 100 Back. Thionville was also a member of the 1st place 200 Medley and 400 Free Relays. Thionville’s 100 Back time broke a Newman record, set a new Division IV record, and qualifies for All-American Consideration. Thionville was also named Swimmer of the Boys Meet. Thionville will graduate with State Championship titles in the 100 Back, 200 Free, and 500 Free and new Newman records in the 100 Back and 500 Free. Thionville was also a member of the 2018 record-setting Medley Relay team.

Senior Co-Captain Austin Passler placed 4th in the 200 Individual Medley and 7th in the 100 Fly, improving his seed entry, and accumulating 27 total points for the team. Passler was also a member of the 1st place 400 Free Relay and the 2nd place 200 Free Relay.

Senior Co-Captain Max Jacobson placed 12th in the 100 Back, adding 5 points to the team score. Jacobson was also a member of the 2nd place 200 Free Relay.

Senior Pepijn Kuiper placed 3rd in the 200 Free and 3rd in the 100 Breast, scoring 32 points. P. Kuiper improved his entry seed in both events and was a member of the 1st place 200 Medley and 400 Free Relays.

Sophomore Christian Johnson won the 500 Free and placed 3rd in the 200 Individual Medley adding 36 points to the team score. Johnson was also a member of the 1st place 200 Medley and 400 Free Relays.

Sophomore Ebbo Kuiper placed 3rd in the 50 Free, jumping two places from his entry seed, and 4th in the 100 Free, adding a total of 32 points. E. Kuiper was also a member of the 1st place Medley Relay and the 2nd place 200 Free Relay.

Freshman Rohan Reddy was a valuable member of the 2nd place 200 Free Relay.

The Boys won the 200 Medley Relay with Johnson swimming Back, P, Kuiper swimming Breast, Thionville swimming Fly, and E. Kuiper swimming Free. The Boys placed 2nd in the 200 Free Relay with Passler, Reddy, Jacobson, and E. Kuiper. The Boys ended the meet winning the 400 Free Relay with Thionville, P, Kuiper, Passler and Johnson.

The Girls

The Girls swam in the afternoon. The Girls also had only 6 individual members swimming a total of 12 individual events.

Senior Co-Captain Katherine Kramer led the Girls Team, scoring 37 points. Kramer placed 1st in the 100 Free and 2nd in the 200 Free. Kramer was also a member of the 1st place 200 Free Relay and the 3rd place 200 Medley Relay. Kramer will graduate with State Championship titles in the 100 Back, 200 Free, and 100 Free.

Senior Co-Captain Serena Klebba did not swim due to injury, but she contributed to the Girls’ spirit cheering on her teammates.

Senior Riley Palmer placed 6th in the 50 Free, jumping five places from her seed entry, and 9th in the 100 Free, jumping three places from her entry in that event. Palmer accumulated 22 points for the Girls. Palmer was also a member of the 1st place 200 Free Relay and the 3rd place 200 Medley Relay.

Senior Emma Castillo placed 9th in the 50 Free, improving her seed entry by one place, and 12th in the 100 Free, jumping 3 places from her entry seed. Castillo added 14 points to the Girls tally. Castillo was also a member of the 3rd place Medley Relay and 4th place 400 Free Relay.

Junior Carolina Prieto placed 6th in the 200 Individual Medley and 4th in the 500 Free, contributing 28 points to the team score. Prieto was also a member of the 1st place 200 Free Relay and 3rd place Medley Relay.

Sophomore Isabelle Plaisance placed 10th in the 200 Individual Medley, adding 7 points. Plaisance was also a member of the 1st place 200 Free Relay and the 4th place 400 Free Relay.

Freshman Grace Carmody placed 7th in the 200 Free, improving her seed entry by one place, and 9th in the 100 Back, jumping 4 spots from her seed entry. Carmody scored 21 points for the Greenies. Carmody was also a member of the 4th place 400 Free Relay.

Freshman Emma Passler was a valuable member of the 4th place 400 Free Relay.

The Girls won the 200 Free Relay with Kramer establishing an early lead for the girls, followed by Prieto, Plaisance and Palmer at the anchor. The Girls placed 3rd in the 200 Medley Relay with Kramer swimming Back, Castillo swimming Breast, Prieto swimming Fly, and Palmer swimming Free. The 400 Free Relay, which placed 4th, cinched the Girls 2nd place finish with Carmody at the lead-off leg, followed by Passler, Plaisance and Castillo at the anchor.

A HUGE thanks to Head Coach Kristi Rigterink. Kristi has been an invaluable member of the Greenie Swim Team as head coach for the past five years. Her passion for swimming, and most importantly for our swimmers, is immeasurable. Kristi’s constant calm, positive demeanor has steadied the team, especially during this uncertain year. The Girls and Boys 2nd place finishes this year are a testament to Kristi’s steady leadership on the pool deck, particularly given the restraints and interruptions the team faced this year due to COVID and the hurricanes. Kristi will be missed greatly next year. We wish her the very best as she pursues her nursing career in California.

And, of course, a big thanks to the team’s Assistant Coaches, Tess Sweatman and Madame Alison Cransac. Thank you!!

WE COULD NOT BE PROUDER OF OUR NEWMAN SWIMMERS, especially our seniors!”