By the students, For the students

The Navigator

By the students, For the students

The Navigator

By the students, For the students

The Navigator

Back in the Game

Newman Girl’s Soccer Team Defeats Franklin After Three Unsatisfactory Results
Photo by Derick Hingle: Newman players celebrate after a goal in the game against Franklin

Coming back from winter break, the Newman girls soccer team struggled to get back in the groove that had helped the team go into the break undefeated. After a 0-0 tie against the Academy of the Sacred Heart, the team lost a bit of its confidence that had been slowly building over the season. The team then suffered a difficult 0-1 loss to University Lab High School, followed by a  1-4 loss to Parkview Baptist. These results were not taken lightly by the team, who were determined to produce a win in the upcoming game against Benjamin Franklin High School. So, understandably, there were lots of nerves headed into the Franklin game last Saturday. 

Although the Franklin team showed determination, the first Newman goal provided the confidence the team needed to shut out the team for the rest of the game. While the 8-0 win certainly displays the skill and effort on the side of the Greenies, the game was not entirely one-sided. The Falcons had a few breakaways by the Franklin offense that required the Newman keeper to make a few saves. 

The game was well attended by parents and students from both teams, which was very much appreciated by the players. Next up on the schedule is another highly anticipated game against McGehee at home this Thursday the 18th at 7pm.